Kodi App is a very great media streaming software that brilliantly does its job. The app is designed so well, that you almost feel like you are using something from the future. Well, we are here to talk about Kodi Download for Android, iOS iPhone Kodi App in detail.
Kodi App was initially meant for the first generation Xbox consoles and was called Xbox Media Center. But after gaining popularity on that front, the developers decided to make Kodi App for other platforms as well. It is available for almost all the smartphone and PC platforms.
You can easily get the app and install it from the official app stores or from the official website of Kodi App. In this post, we are going to have an in-depth discussion on the Kodi download guides as well as a little about the features and the history about the app.
What is Kodi Download App?
Before getting on to the Kodi Download procedures, we will have a look at the history of the app in a brief manner. It was first created in 2002 by the XBMC foundation which is a non-profit association. The name of this app was XBMC and it later they changed it to Kodi.
Kodi Download is now available for multiple operating platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, and Raspberry Pi. It uses a 10-foot user interface for its use with TVs and remotes. The App allows users to play almost all kinds of streaming media such as music, podcasts, videos, and also videos and other stuff from the internet.
The developers of Kodi App created it in C++ and made it open source and added support for multiple platforms. Because of it being open source, many spin-off apps have been made and used in various places for entertainment. Let’s see how you can perform Kodi download on the various platforms that it is available for.
Download Kodi APK for Android App:
Kodi for Android is available on the platform and that must be a sigh of relief to the Android users. Another great thing about the app is that it is available for download on the Google Play Store. Now, this makes the process of getting the app much easier.
There is also a different method to install Kodi for Android if the first one doesn’t work. In this method, you will have to download the Kodi APK file from its website and install it manually. That we will discuss later. First, the Google Play method.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Tap on the search icon to reveal the search bar and type “Kodi”.
- Hit enter and the Play Store will display the results of the search in which this app will be on top.
- Tap on the app’s icon to go to its page. As the app is free, you will see the “Install” button.
- Click that button to start the Kodi download. After the download is complete, Google Play will automatically install the app for Android.
This was the Google Play Store method. Now, onto the alternate method to get Kodi for Android.
- Download Kodi APK file from this link. Download Kodi for Android
- Now, go to Settings> Security and enable Unknown Sources. This is needed in order to allow the installation of third-party apps.
- After that, navigate to the folder where you downloaded the Kodi APK file.
- Tap on the APK file to initiate the installation process.
- Click “Next” to allow the permissions for the app to install and then click “Install” to start installing the APK on your phone.
- The installation will take some time and after that, you will be able to use Kodi for Android.
These were the two procedures for Kodi download and installation for the Android platform. You can choose either one to go with, but we will recommend you to go with the former. You should only use the second one to install Kodi for Android only when the first one doesn’t work.
Kodi for Windows PC Download
As you read in the first section of this post, you can easily download and install it for PC. It doesn’t matter if it runs on Windows or Linux, or the Apple Mac OS because it is available for all of them. Now, in this section, we will cover the Kodi for PC download guides for all the three platforms.
The methods of Kodi download and install for any of the three PC operating systems is pretty much the same. We will cover them all in one go. Let’s start.
- Open any browser on any of the operating systems. Kodi for Windows Download.
- After that, type this address in the address bar of the browser: https://kodi.tv/download and hit enter to go the website.
- This is the official website for downloading the app for PC and other platforms.
- Scroll down until you see the logos of the different operating systems. The download links are right below the logos.
- Just click on the link which will download the Kodi for PC setup file for that platform.
- The installation process differs in each of the three PC platforms. In Windows, you just have to double-click on the setup file and follow the instructions to install the app for PC.
- In a Mac, you just need to extract the disk image and then drag and drop it into the applications folder.
- Now, for Linux, you can’t directly download the setup file. You have to follow the install guide link given and follow the instructions.
- What you have to do is, you have to open the command line terminal and type the command lines given in the guide, one by one.
Upon completing the guide, the app will be installed on your Linux PC. This completes the Kodi Download process for all the three major PC platforms. Moving on to the next section, we will see the procedure for the iOS platform.
Install Kodi for iPhone, iOS, iPad:
Fortunately for the iPhone users, Kodi for iPhone is also available on the official website to download. Unlike for the Android OS, you can’t get this app from the Apple App store. You have to get the Kodi download file from the official site and then install it.
What you might not like is that the process is a bit tricky and not easy. Also, you need to have a Mac, Xcode App, and the iOS app signer because these are the necessary things for the installation of Kodi for iPhone and other iOS devices.
- Plug in your iPhone or whatever device you have, into your Mac.
- Open Xcode on your Mac and select “Create a new project” and then select “Single View Application” and then click Next.
- You will have to give a name and an identifier which are both unique, to the project.
- Click on Create. Upon this, Xcode will most probably complain about an issue that you don’t have a provisional profile.
- To resolve this, click on “Fix Issue”. Then Xcode will require you to sign up using your free developer account. If you don’t have one, you can create it which is quite simple.
- After that, select a developer team and this should fix the issue in a short time.
- Download the Kodi download .deb file which you are going to need for the installation from below.
Get the Kodi for iPhone download .deb file
- Now, open the iOS app signer on your Mac. Select the .deb file that you just downloaded for the Input file.
- Select the profile that we made in the earlier steps for provisioning profile and then click Start. This will generate the .ipa file of Kodi for iPhone.
- Go back to Xcode and select Devices from Window and click on your iOS device from the left side.
- Scroll down and click on the small + sign and select the .ipa file that we just created and click “Open”.
This will install the app for iPhone and complete the process. Now, you can unplug your iOS device and find the app on your device. Open it from there and then you can experience the awesomeness of Kodi for iPhone firsthand.
How to use Kodi Download App?
Kodi Download App can be used to stream media including videos, music, and pictures from the local storage. You can also watch videos from the internet with the help of add-ons. In this section, you will get to know how to watch videos and listen to music from the local storage as well as the internet.
- Open the app from any of your devices. We are writing this guide with respect to the latest version of Kodi that is version 17 Krypton.
- For watching videos, click on Videos or Movies or TV Shows because you can select any one depending on what you want to watch.
- After that select Files and then Add videos. Then click “Browse” and navigate your way through to the video folder on your storage.
- Repeat the same procedure for music and pictures. After you have selected the folder, click OK to add the folder to your sources.
This is a one-time process so you don’t have to repeat it every time you want to watch a video or listen to music. If you want to watch videos from the internet, then you have to install add-ons from the internet. Here are the steps.
- From the main menu, select Add-ons.
- After that, select the last option on the list which is Download.
- Once there, you will see a list with a lot of categories. Some of these categories are Game add-ons, Music, video, Picture add-ons among many others.
- Click on the one from which you wish to download. It will display a long list of add-ons. Simply select any one and then select “Install” to install it.
The installed Add-ons will appear on the home screen of the Kodi App interface and you can access from there. So, this was how you can stream media from the internet as well as your local storage.
Features of Kodi Download App
If you have installed the Kodi App from the methods I mentioned in the above sections and used it, then you might have gotten an idea as to how amazing the app is. There are a lot of features of the acclaimed app but you may have come across only a few of them. Let’s discuss a few more.
- You can play videos, music and even view pictures with the help of this App. It also gives you weather forecasts which were added from later on.
- With Kodi Download, you can make playlists, enjoy audio visualizations of songs, slideshows and even listen to the radio.
- The app can play all of the common audio and video formats that are the most common in use. Some of the video formats are MPEG 1 through 4, HEVC, WMV, MJPEG, etc.
- There are tons of skins that you can use to change the appearance of the app. You can get them from the add-ons section in the main menu.
- Kodi download is available in 75 languages. Even if a language is not available, you can make on your own by editing simple strings in an XML file.
- Add-ons are available for watching videos and music from the internet.
- You can even get the metadata for movies and music like the cover art, posters, lyrics, cast info, etc from various add-ons.
- The app also supports Live TV along with DVR and PVR with the help of which you can record a video and play it back to and from a hard disk.
- If you already have movies and TV shows on a Blu-Ray CD or any other physical media, you can also play it on Kodi Download.
These were the core features of the app that you get when you use the Kodi Download app. There are a lot of other small and great features that you will definitely love once you start using the app.
With this, we end our post on Kodi Download APK App for Android, iPhone, PC. This post was essentially meant to explain to you the download guides and features of the app. If you have understood every bit of the post, then please share your experiences with us at Kodi App.